October 21, 2010

Dhunuchi naach: my personal aroti to Durga Ma

The earliest memory of me doing Dhunuchi Naach goes back to as early as being 4. In a pandal near the big lake in Hyderabad, with my Dadu watching over me, I swayed to the rhythmic strums of the Dhaki's and the next vivid memory was of picking up a small silver trophy as a token of appreciation by the Pujo for my performance. I don't think there has been a year where I may have missed an opportunity to perform ever since. Now at 32 when I am asked how does it feel to win OR have I come first I have only one thing to say; this is my personal offering of devotion to Ma, it is not about competing but about being one with her through my dance...
The aroma of dhuno, the resonating sound of multiple dhak's calling out to Ma and that enigmatic face fills me with an emotion which is beyond words. All I can feel at that moment is thumping of my heart, my feet tapping and a surge to sway with the rhythm without loosing a moment. To me it is the sound of victory and the elation felt when good prevails over evil...











With this year now in the past all I can say is: 'Bolo bolo Durga Ma ki; Jai... Ashche bochor abaar hobe!!!'


Pictures courtesy: Mukesh Trivedi- Senior Photographer DNA and Samar Sengupta

October 2010


3 comments:

Tina Malkani Gholap said...

hey Amrita! your post transported me to where u performed.. really.. through the few words you have used.. i was there :).. could feel the rhythm and pulse totally :)..
God Bless you! and may you continue being one with MA every year :)

Tina Malkani Gholap said...

your pics also say a lot!! :) beautiful shots! :)

Sensuous2Spiritual said...

Thanks Tina. It is a very special moment every year.

If music be the food of life, play on...


MusicPlaylistRingtones
Create a playlist at MixPod.com